Hardin County Lincoln Sites – Lincoln Cabins ( 1 site that includes 3 places: Sarah Bush Johnston House, Lincoln Heritage House and Hardin County One-Room School).
Sarah Bush Johnston Lincoln Memorial:
The memorial cabin was built in 1992, Kentucky’s Bicentennial year, from handhewn logs that were 122 years old at the time. It is a close replica of the one Sarah Bush Johnston was living in, here in Elizabethtown, at the time she married Thomas Lincoln on December 2, 18 19. 14’x 14’log cabin – replica of one lived in by one of the most famous step-mothers in American history.
Lincoln Heritage House:
The Lincoln Heritage House was restored as a tribute to Abraham Lincoln’s father, Thomas Lincoln. While a Hardin County resident for more than 10 years, he built cabinets and farmed. His personal property included a 200-acre farm on Mill Creek and an Elizabethtown log house where he and Nancy lived. Their first child Sarah was born there in 1807. The Lincoln Heritage House is comprised of two log houses. Both were the homes of pioneer Hardin Thomas and his family. One was built in 1789. The larger of the two was built in 1805 with the help of Thomas Lincoln. Although this beloved historic double cabin was gutted by fire early in 2009, the community has rebuilt the house using historic building materials and salvaged timbers. The interior has not been completed.
Progress updates are available by calling 270-765-2175.
Hardin County One-Room School:
The story of the one room school begins when the old log school at Summit, Kentucky, with its split log benches anddirt floor were found no longer acceptable to the Hardin County community. In the spring of 1892, it was decided that a new building was needed and construction of what was to be known as the finest school in the county was begun. During most of its years, the school was operated under the supervision of a trustee, who was elected by vote, and was responsible for hiring the teacher, seeing that adequate supplies were available, and keeping the building in repair. With the formation of the Board of Education, a trustee was no longer necessary. It is believed that Miss Sallie Graham was the first teacher at the school’s opening on July 7, 1892. At that time, 80 to 100 studentsattended. By the end of World War II, attendance was as little as 15. The school finally closed its doors in 1953. For twenty years the schoolhouse was virtually forgotten. Then several local groups became interested in its preservation. In September, 1978, the schoolhouse was relocated to Freeman Lake Park in Elizabethtown. The renovation began in 1980 and on July 11, 1982 the school was rededicated.